How can I get an Absentee Ballot if I am in the Military or Overseas?

The Uniformed and Overseas Citizens Absentee Voting Act is commonly referred to as UOCAVA. UOCAVA citizens are U.S. citizens who are active members of the Uniformed Services, the Merchant Marine, and the commissioned corps of the Public Health Service and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, their eligible family members and U.S. citizens residing outside the United States. This Act provides the legal basis for these citizens' absentee voting requirements for federal offices. Military and overseas voters have the option to email or fax the FPCA into the Clerk's office, which allows them to register to vote and request an AV ballot.

The Military and Overseas Voter Empowerment Act (MOVE) amended UOCAVA and other statutes by providing greater protections for Service Members, their eligible family members and other overseas citizens. Among other provisions, the MOVE Act requires States to send absentee ballots to UOCAVA voters at least 45 days before federal elections.

For more information or to obtain an application visit the Federal Voting Assistance Program website

Show All Answers

1. How can I find out if I'm registered to vote?
2. How do I change my voter registration address?
3. If I move to a new address between elections, am I still registered to vote?
4. If I didn't vote in the last election, am I still eligible to vote?
5. How can I get an Absentee Ballot?
6. How can I get an Absentee Ballot if I am in the Military or Overseas?
7. What are the hours during which I can vote on Election Day?
8. What's my polling location for Election Day voting?
9. How do I become an Election Inspector?