June 16, 2023 – The City of Midland Building Department reminds property owners that the height of grass and weeds in their yards must be maintained in accordance with the City’s Code of Ordinances.
Portions of Article I, Chapter 26 of the ordinance pertain to grass and weed height. The ordinance applies to all properties within the city limits, whether occupied or vacant.
The ordinance was most recently revised in 2010 and includes the following standards:
- Grass and weeds which exceed ten (10) inches in height are in violation of the ordinance;
- Violation notices will be sent to property owners via first-class mail;
- Property owners will have seven (7) days from the date the notification is sent to comply;
- If the property is not brought into compliance, the City will have the property mowed. A minimum mowing charge of $200.00 per lot will be charged to the property owner;
- Additional enforcement action will include, but may not be limited to, progressive municipal civil infraction fines of $50.00, $250.00, and $500.00.
Some properties may be exempt from enforcement based on location, size of tree growth, or lack of development in the area.
These standards exist to maintain a consistent, pleasant aesthetic across all properties; limit sight obstructions for motorists and pedestrians; and discourage vermin and bugs.
Property owners can petition for exemption status or find out more information from the Building Department by calling 989-837-3383.