June 16, 2023 – The City of Midland reminds curbside collection customers that new refuse collection rules and fees for non-compliance will soon take effect on July 1, 2023.
These changes were approved by the Midland City Council on March 13, 2023. Changes were implemented to reflect best practices for curbside collection services and offset operational costs incurred from improperly prepared collection items and excessive collection volumes.
Examples of new rule violations and the resulting fines are as follows:
- Improper preparation of refuse or yard waste: $50 minimum
- Refuse items not bagged
- Bins set out after 7:30 a.m. on collection day
- Refuse and yard waste items combined in either bin or placed in the wrong bin
- Improper preparation of heavy items or brush: $150 minimum
- Heavy items or brush set out before or after area’s collection week
- Brush piles that exceed maximum collection size (8 feet in length by 4 feet in width by 4 feet in height) or are tangled and hazardous to collect
- Heavy items and brush mixed together
- Large amounts of heavy items or brush: $250 for each additional truckload
- Each home is permitted to set out up to 10 curb yards (one dump truckload) of heavy items and brush for collection each month. Quantities beyond this limit will be charged for additional loads.
For a complete list of changes, please visit www.cityofmidlandmi.gov/collectionchanges.
For more information on the City’s curbside collection services, including collection schedules, guidelines, and more, visit www.cityofmidlandmi.gov/publicservices or contact the Department of Public Services (DPS) at (989) 837-6900.