October 7, 2022 – Residents may call the City’s snow removal equipment some unique names every winter, but the City of Midland is inviting them to harness that creative power to give names to its snow removal equipment during its first Name the Plow contest. Winning names will be displayed on each plow so residents can identify them by name during the 2022 snow plowing season and beyond.
The contest will consist of two rounds. During the first round, participants can submit up to three (3) plow names per person. Following this round, Public Services staff will select its top 20 favorite names from all submissions, which will be put to a community-wide online vote to determine the winning six names.
The name submission round will open on Monday, October 10 at 8 a.m. and close on Sunday, October 23 at midnight. The community voting round will run from Friday, October 28 at 8 a.m. through Friday, November 4 at 5 p.m. Winning names will be announced and winners notified on Monday, November 21, 2022.
Both contest rounds will be hosted online at www.cityofmidlandmi.gov/nametheplow. Residents without internet access can contact the Community Affairs office at 989-837-3307 to submit their entries.
Name the Plow contest rules:
- The contest is open to residents living or working within the Midland city limits.
- During the name submission round, participants can enter up to three (3) potential snow plow names per person.
- During the community voting round, participants can vote an unlimited number of times for their favorite name(s).
- Names of people (living or deceased), places, songs, movies, pop culture elements, and other non-trademarked items are permitted. Be creative!
- Names that are obscene, offensive and/or derogatory in nature or reference illegal activity will be disqualified.
For contest participation and more information, visit www.cityofmidlandmi.gov/nametheplow. For more information on the City’s snow removal fleet, visit www.cityofmidlandmi.gov/snowremoval.