Midland residents interested in serving on a City of Midland board or commission have one more week to apply for any number of positions.
Applications will be accepted until 5 p.m., Friday, April 24, 2015. Forms are located on the City of Midland website, www.cityofmidlandmi.gov/boardscommissions or in hard copy form through the City Manager’s Office, 333 W. Ellsworth St.
Boards and commissions advise the City of Midland on issues important to the municipality. Most positions do not require extensive expertise, just a willingness to serve.
Applicants must be city residents. All those who have previously applied for a board or commission vacancy are asked to submit a new application.
Positions that are currently open are included below:
Cable Access Advisory Commission
• One MCTV access user position with a term expiring June 30, 2018 The Cable Access Advisory Commission advises the City Council regarding general policy matters related to the services provided to public access producers and viewers through MCTV. The commission is also responsible for encouraging the use of public access channels and gaining public input. This commission meets quarterly.
Local Officers Compensation Commission
• One citizen-at-large position with a term expiring June 30, 2018; applicant must be a registered elector of the cityThe Local Officers Compensation Commission helps determine the salaries of Midland’s mayor and Midland City Council members. The term for this commission’s members is seven years, but members only meet every other year. This vacancy will fill an unexpired term ending June 30, 2018.
MBS International Airport Commission
• One citizen-at-large position with a term expiring June 30, 2018The MBS International Airport Commission is the governing body of MBS International Airport. The airport is owned by the City of Midland, Bay County, and the City of Saginaw. Each owner is represented by three members, for a total number of nine MBS International Airport Commissioners. This commission meets monthly.
Parks & Recreation Commission
• One citizen-at-large position with a term expiring June 30, 2018The Parks and Recreation Commission advises the City Council on parks and recreation matters. The commission considers and studies the reasonable needs of recreational facilities and activities in which the City might properly participate. They also recommend annual fee adjustments for recreation services. Meetings are generally held each month.
• One citizen-at-large position with a term expiring June 30, 2017The Planning Commission oversees the City's master plan, conducts public hearings, and offers recommendations to the City Council on a wide range of local land use issues including site plans for new developments, zoning law amendments, and various land divisions. This vacancy will fill an unexpired term ending June 30, 2017. This commission meets the 2nd and 4th Tuesday of each month.
West Main Street Historic District Commission
• One Midland County Historical Society representative position with a term expiring June 30, 2018This commission makes recommendations to the City Council on the development and administration of guidelines for all work on structures within the West Main Street Historic District. This commission meets quarterly.
In May or early June, applicants for all boards and commissions openings mentioned above will be contacted about the possibility of interviewing with Midland City Council.
Call the City Manager’s Office at 989-837-3301 with any questions.