- Zoning Text Amendment
Zoning Text Amendment
A zoning text amendment is a change to the text in the Zoning Ordinance. A text change could amend the list of uses permitted in any zoning district; it could amend the setback required for a building or be an amendment which changes the size of a permitted sign.
Average minimum time required to complete a request to amend the Zoning Ordinance is 90 days. The petitioner should consult the Planning Department for advice regarding the feasibility of the intended amendment and the possible wording for such a change.
The Petitioner submits the Petition for Zoning Text Amendment along with a $325 filing fee to the City Planning Department. Checks must be made payable to The City of Midland.
You can fill out the Petition for Zoning Text Amendment (PDF) online. To fill it out, follow the instructions at the top of the first page of the application form.
- Sets a public hearing date for the petition and places a notice of the hearing in the newspaper at least 15 days prior to the date of the hearing
- Prepares a staff report for the Planning Commission
It is the job of the Planning Commission to conduct a public hearing and recommend approval, denial, or modified approval to the Midland City Council within 60 days.
- Receives the recommendation and proposed ordinance from the Planning Commission
- Has first reading of the proposed ordinance, and sets date for public hearing
- Places notice of the hearing in the newspaper at least 15 days prior to the date of the public hearing
- Conducts public hearing, and has second reading of the ordinance
- Approves or denies ordinance