The City of Midland’s Finance Department maintains control over the City’s financial records, with the goals of safeguarding the City’s assets and City management with accurate and timely financial information to assist them in making informed decisions.
Other Finance responsibilities include:
- Managing the City's purchasing function
- Administering the City’s general and liability insurance program
- Preparing the City’s annual audited Comprehensive Annual Financial Report
- Preparing the City’s annual budget
- Preparing the monthly financial statements for the City’s police and fire pension trust
- Processing payroll for all City of Midland employees
City budgets are available for review.
Comprehensive Annual Financial Report
The City's Finance Department is also responsible for preparing the Comprehensive Annual Financial Report (CAFR). For 30 of the last 32 years (as of 2013), the Government Finance Officers Association has awarded the City of Midland a Certificate of Achievement for Excellence in Financial Reporting. This award is the highest form of recognition for excellence in state and local government financial reporting.