Restricted Refuse Items

Collected Items

Item Preparation
Animal waste Place in a plastic grocery bag and then place the plastic grocery bag into a paper grocery bag or place in a hard plastic container with a lid.  Label "Animal Waste" and place next to your weekly refuse.
Ashes, vacuum cleaner waste, sawdust, drywall dust Double bag, label and place separately next to your weekly refuse.  There is a 50-lb weight limit on garbage bags.
Broken glass & light bulbs Label and place separately in a puncture proof cardboard box (under 2' x 2') or can with secure lid.  Fluorescent bulbs should be placed into cardboard sleeve or wrapped in newspaper and set out for the once-a-month Heavy Item Collection.
Dried out latex paint in cans Remove lid or punch holes in can; place separately at curb on your weekly refuse collection day.  You can put cat litter or sand in with the paint to accelerate drying process.
Needles & syringes Label and place separately in a hard plastic or metal container with a secure lid on your weekly refuse day.
Used motor oil & antifreeze Label and place separately in a tightly-closed non-leaking container on your weekly refuse day.

Items Not Collected

  • Cardboard boxes larger than 2 ft. x 2 ft. - boxes of any size can be put out for monthly heavy item collection
  • Car parts and batteries
  • Chemicals & household hazardous materials (contact the Midland County Health Department at 989-832-6681 for disposal information)
  • Dead animals
  • Explosives and live ammunition
  • Garbage bags, personal trash cans over 50 pounds
  • Hot ashes
  • Liquid paint
  • Loose refuse - please bag all refuse in personal cans and City bins to avoid creating a litter hazard
  • Refuse bins and containers with item sticking out of the container (lids must close completely)
  • Refuse in containers without handles, such as grocery bags, wheelbarrows, barrels, boxes
  • Refuse that is frozen to the can or bin

Household Hazardous Materials

Midland’s Sanitary Landfill serves as the site of the Midland County Health Department’s Household Hazardous Materials Collection program. Through this program, residents of Midland County can dispose of hazardous materials such as oil-based paint, paint thinner, pesticides, fertilizers, cleaning products, aerosols, old gas/oil mixtures, to name a few. Call the Midland County Health Department at 832-6681 for make an appointment to drop off items.

Christmas Tree Collection

Christmas trees are collected and recycled during your monthly heavy item and brush collection.  To prepare trees for collection - remove stands, ornaments, tinsel, garland, and plastic tree bags.