- Community Development Block Grant Program (CDBG)
Community Development Block Grant Program (CDBG)
The City of Midland, MI anticipates receiving Community Development Block Grant funds from the US Department of Housing & Urban Development as an entitlement community. Formula-based entitlement grants are made on an annual basis with the ultimate goal of developing viable urban communities by providing decent housing and a suitable living environments, and by expanding economic opportunities, principally for low- and moderate-income persons. Generally, applications for funding are made available to the public in mid-December and due in mid-late January.
Essentially, the CDBG program provides communities with funding to meet community needs while simultaneously meeting federally established objectives.
The program is authorized under Title 1 of the Housing and Community Development Act of 1974, Public Law 93-383, as amended; 42 U.S.C.-530.1 et seq.
- Benefit to low and moderate income persons or households (Limited area, clientele, housing activities, or job creation or retention)
- Elimination of slums and blight (area basis, spot basis or urban renewal)
- Urgent need (rare; only for activities that alleviate emergency conditions. @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
- Maintaining the current housing stock in a standard and code compliant form through housing rehabilitation assistance provided through loans and grants;
- Providing decent, affordable housing to low-income families and nonprofit housing service providers through new construction and existing housing;
- Providing quality public and community facilities which meet the needs of low and moderate income individuals and those with special needs and disabilities;
- Providing assistance to low-income residents who are in need of work, housing, transportation or other support services;
- Providing accessibility improvements to meet the needs of elderly persons and persons with disabilities;
- Providing ongoing fair housing activities to promote nondiscriminatory practices throughout the community. @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>