Community Development Block Grant Program (CDBG)
The City of Midland, MI anticipates receiving Community Development Block Grant funds from the US Department of Housing & Urban Development as an entitlement community. Formula-based entitlement grants are made on an annual basis with the ultimate goal of developing viable urban communities by providing decent housing and a suitable living environments, and by expanding economic opportunities, principally for low- and moderate-income persons. Generally, applications for funding are made available to the public in mid-December and due in mid-late January.
Applications for funding for the 2019-2020 Program Year were accepted until January 25, 2019.
Essentially, the CDBG program provides communities with funding to meet community needs while simultaneously meeting federally established objectives.
The program is authorized under Title 1 of the Housing and Community Development Act of 1974, Public Law 93-383, as amended; 42 U.S.C.-530.1 et seq.
- Benefit to low and moderate income persons or households (Limited area, clientele, housing activities, or job creation or retention)
- Elimination of slums and blight (area basis, spot basis or urban renewal)
- Urgent need (rare; only for activities that alleviate emergency conditions. @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
- Maintaining the current housing stock in a standard and code compliant form through housing rehabilitation assistance provided through loans and grants;
- Providing decent, affordable housing to low-income families and nonprofit housing service providers through new construction and existing housing;
- Providing quality public and community facilities which meet the needs of low and moderate income individuals and those with special needs and disabilities;
- Providing assistance to low-income residents who are in need of work, housing, transportation or other support services;
- Providing accessibility improvements to meet the needs of elderly persons and persons with disabilities;
- Providing ongoing fair housing activities to promote nondiscriminatory practices throughout the community. @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>