The Building Department is dedicated to safeguarding health, property, and the public welfare by regulating and controlling the design, construction, quality of materials, use and occupancy, location, and maintenance of all properties, buildings and structures defined by the City’s Code of Ordinances. The department accomplishes this through educating and assisting citizens through teamwork, expertise, and communication in an ethical and professional manner.
COVID-19 & Flood Information
All City facilities remain closed to the public; however, Building personnel are working to process these requests and will work as quickly as possible to provide service for flood-impacted residents.
To schedule a building inspection or apply for a building permit related to the recent flooding event, residents should call the Building Department regarding their project or email the appropriate staff member.
Individual inspectors can be reached as follows:
- Steve Taglauer, Chief Building Official – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mike Streeter, Electrical Inspector – email@example.com
- Jim Armstrong, Plumbing/Mechanical Inspector – firstname.lastname@example.org
Post-Flood Building Information
For properties or structures within the 100-year regulatory floodplain:
- Building permits must be obtained to repair damage caused by a flood or any other source of damage. As part of the building permit process, the Substantial Improvement/Substantial Damage (SD/SI) rules will apply.
For properties or structures outside the 100-year regulatory floodplain:
- Building permits must be obtained to repair damage caused by a flood or any other source of damage.