- Construction Project Updates - Click here to find a map and updated info on City of Midland projects.
For the proper operation of the street and utility systems within the City of Midland, Engineering services are an essential aspect of municipal government. Maintaining a safe street system and traffic control for drivers and assuring that the City's underground sewer and water systems are able to accommodate the residents of Midland is an integral part of the Engineering Department's many services.
Work Zone Safety
Tips for Driving in a Construction Work Zone
Every year, there are more than 2,000 injuries that occur during Michigan work zone accidents. Speeding motorists put themselves, their passengers, and construction workers at risk.
Here are some suggestions on how you can help ensure safe roadways for yourself, other motorists and construction workers:
- Slow down - Slower speeds save lives.
- Don’t eat or drink while driving.
- Keep both hands on the steering wheel.
- Obey work zone directions, and try to merge early.
- Pay extra attention when driving through work zones after dark.
- Put down the cell phone.
- Refrain from driving aggressively.
- Turn your headlights on in work zones.
- Turn your radio down.
- Watch for work zone activity.
Traffic Signal / Regulatory Sign Repair
Citizens are encouraged to call 911 to report traffic signals or regulatory signs (such as stop signs) that are in need of service.
Placement of Traffic Control Devices
The Engineering Department should be contacted for general questions regarding the placement of traffic control devices. Any requests for, or questions about, changes to traffic signals may be sent via email.
Complaints regarding speeding or other traffic enforcement issues should be directed to the Midland Police Department at 989-839-4714.